We've wanted to get a piano for years now. The kids love music and love to play on any piano whenever they can get their fingers on one. We had thought about getting one for the boys' birthday, but didn't want to rush the decision so fast when we didn't really know what we were getting ourselves into.
My sister-in-law called me up on Monday, August 12 and told me they were getting rid of their piano (they were in the process of buying a new house and didn't want to deal with moving it). I could have it for free if I wanted, but I had until that Saturday to get it because that's when everything had to be out of the house they were currently living in.
I immediately started trying to make plans to move it. My brother Jason owns a furniture company and they have trucks with a lift gate. He was generous enough to loan it to us after hours. Thursday was about the only night that Marc could move it. I was naive in thinking he could move it by himself. The night before we were discussing trying to get the piano out here, and he said he needed about 3-4 other men to help him! And we only had a time period of about an hour to get it done if he was still going to help with the boys' football.
The next morning, he arranged for 3 young men to come meet me at our house. I drove them (and the kids) down to Scott & Codi's house, where Marc was waiting with the truck, to get the piano. They made quick work getting it onto the truck. I left my kids at Codi's, they would stay there for about an hour before practice and go over to football with them, and I drove the young men back to our house to unload the piano.
We were running a little late, and though we made good time loading the piano, Marc was still up against time to make it back down to Boise in order to be at practice on time to help Jason. He helped the young men get the piano off the truck, then he quickly drove back to Boise to go to practice.
The boys did great until they hit a major crack in the sidewalk and couldn't get the dolly up and over it. I watched in fear as the piano tilted way back and tried not panic as it looked like it was about to fall over. They decided to try to pick it up and carry it the 5 feet to the door. I've never felt so useless! I wish I could have helped them, but it just wasn't an option! They somehow managed to get that piano all the way inside the house with just the 3 of them, and it is still intact! :)
So now we have a piano! The kids are thrilled! They think they know all sorts of songs and love to plunk around on it. We'd love to get them started in lessons as soon as possible. Hopefully after Christmas sometime.
Sunday, September 15, 2013
Piano
Posted by
Julie G.
at
Sunday, September 15, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment