We"d love to hear from you...Send us an email!

Friday, September 20, 2013

Little Girls' Room

When we found out we were having another girl, we decided to put both girls together in the same room, and keep a playroom/guest room. At the time, Lexi had the smallest room, so we decided to switch her room with the playroom since it was bigger.

I spent hours looking at bedding options on-line. I wanted something feminine, but not overkill pink or character themed. I didn't want to spend a fortune. I found a bedding set that I liked at Target, but I didn't love it, and the price was really holding me back. Ideally, I wanted twin bedding that corresponded with crib bedding. Not easy to find, especially with a budget.

I finally found a set that I loved! It had everything I was looking for and the price didn't give me a heart attack. The only problem was, it was out of stock everywhere!! I looked and looked at different websites and couldn't find it. I found a couple of sites that you could be sent an e-mail alert when it came back in stock. So, I signed up for a few of those, hoping that it would actually come back in stock before the end of the summer. I only had to wait a few weeks, and one of the websites, wayfair.com let me know that everything I wanted was in stock and to make things even better, they sent me a coupon as an apology for having to wait for so long. Sweet! Not only were they the best priced anyway, this definitely made it more affordable. My mom suggested I grab two twin bedding sets, so the baby could have a matching one when she moved out of her crib. She even paid for it as a baby gift! Someone else was pretty excited about it too:

Marc definitely couldn't understand my giddiness over the bedding. It was kind of like Christmas morning when all of my packages arrived. The day they came, I was at Home Depot picking out paint to get started on the walls of the playroom. 

I had several "helpers" the first day of painting. Actually, they were pretty helpful and got the lower parts of the walls which were difficult for me to get.

The "Before Shots"






There's just something about how a coat of paint transforms a room! I love it! I love the color and was so happy with the way it came out. 

The next step was curtains. Oh man. This is where I got hung up the most. The room has awkward-sized windows, and faces east so that the sun is blaring into it early morning. I definitely wanted something with blackout ability, but that really limited my color options. I found purple curtains, but didn't want the room to be purple everything. So the only other option I could see, was to pull a tan color out from the bedspread. I found some curtains on amazon that had good reviews, and I took my chances by ordering one set, that I could cut and hem to make two sets of curtains with. 

I felt pretty good about the way my hemming job went. I don't think you can tell that they didn't come  like that from the store. The color isn't my favorite, but it works. The curtains aren't true "blackout", but they do a good enough job blocking the sunlight that Lexi can sleep later in the morning and it has cooled the room off a little bit as well which is always a bonus feature in 100 degree heat!



After I hung the curtains, I got Marc to move Lexi's furniture into the room. The bed was easy enough, but she has a large dresser/hutch that he can't move by himself, and I am in no position to help! I arranged for our friend Bryan to come help him one day after work. They made quick work out of it, and that night Lexi was sleeping in her new room. She was so excited! We wanted to give her enough time to get used to a new room before we introduced a baby into it as well. So far, it has worked out great!

I had the kids each paint a picture on canvas to hang up in their rooms. They got to paint whatever they wanted, though I controlled what colors Lexi used. It adds a fun personal touch to the room and she's excited to have her very own artwork up.

I was ancy to get the baby crib all set up, but Marc thought it was way too early and didn't want to bring unnecessary furniture into the house to take up more space. Finally, around the second week of August, the kids and I carried up all the pieces from the garage and he was sweet enough to assemble it.   Lexi even got to help put in some of the bolts :)


The girls room was finally complete! Seeing the crib in the room just made me happy! We hung up a few more finishing touches: Lexi's name, a clothes line of types to hang up artwork, etc. Once we figure out a name for the baby, we'll put her letters above her crib.



Man, this turned into a lot longer post than I ever intended! But it was a summer project that I enjoyed working on, now the only thing missing is a baby girl to go in it :)

No comments: