We"d love to hear from you...Send us an email!

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Vacuum shopping

So between a dog, two kids, "shedding" carpet, & my long hair, we've pretty much killed two vacuums in the last year. I've owned an Oreck for almost 6 years and loved it before we moved into the new house. I think its mainly the carpet (newly installed before we moved in last year) because its constantly clogging up the hoses with loose fibers. The dog hair is a completely different story. Our Golden Retriever is beautiful, but his hair all over the house is disgusting and never ending. I'm debating whether to fix the Oreck (I think I burned the motor up) but have the feeling that I'm just going to run into the same problems again if I do fix it. Or, I'm researching the Dyson DC17 Absolute Animal which seems to have mostly awesome, but some really bad reviews. The price is definitely holding me up ($500)--but I believe a good vacuum is worth the investment. And if it works as well as it says it does, pet hair wouldn't be the same problem. So, I'm just throwing this question out to all of you, what type of vacuum do you use, and are you happy with it? What would you recommend?

3 comments:

Ducksfly2gether said...

So, I just saw a refurbished vacuum -yesterday- for $29.99 on amazon.com's "deal of the day" thing. They're gone, but I searched "refurbished vacuum on amazon and found quite a few. The dyson animal was $350/free ship or something (http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Reconditioned-Dyson-DC14-Animal-Upright/dp/B0009VCAZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1203550509&sr=1-1) I think the hoover windtunnel are the cheapest, which is what we have had for 5 years. It's not upscale, but a Costco brand (which for some reason I value). Just an idea.

*katie said...

I have a $100 dirt devil that works great for what I need. I've only ever heard good things about the Dyson though. Good luck on choosing, vacuums are certainly not an exciting thing to spend money on!

Candice said...

We bought a Dyson a couple of years ago and I absolutely love it! We bought the all floors/on the ball model (DC15). It is amazing the stuff that it can pull out of the carpet! Pretty gross- but I will say that there are no filters to buy- no bags to change and the thing sucks literally. It has a wand tool that extends 17 ft. and all you have to do is rinse the filter once every 6 months. I would say it is definately worth the investment.