I had to post before November was gone for good and I get too wrapped up into preparing for Christmas to reflect on Thanksgiving. For me, Thanksgiving has always been a time of huge groups of family getting together, football on in the background, falling asleep after stuffing yourself so full of turkey and yummy treats, home made rolls, jello-salads, mashed potatoes with gravy, and so many pies to pick from you just can't have only one.
Growing up my family always ate this huge dinner with all of my cousins, aunts and uncles and grandparents. I was always stuck at the "kids" table and after wards the women would always clean up and chat in the kitchen while we were doing dishes while the men lay around on an available couch and make comments about the game that was on. It seems so long ago now but it holds special a fondness and I find myself yearning to go back to it. I think the older I've gotten the more quiet Thanksgiving has become as well....all of the cousins grew up and moved away, my brothers had "new" families to celebrate Thanksgiving with, and as wonderful as it is now, it's just not the same, nor will it ever be the same again and I'm saddened by that. But during this season of thankfulness, that's what I need to remember its all about. I will have the opportunity one day to start Traditions of my own for this special holiday, so until then, let me reflect on some of the things I'm most thankful for right now.
First of all, my fabulous husband who has been so patient with me and my grouchy non-social attitude of the last week. He is the rock in our relationship and tries so hard to make me happy. I'm thankful for my two beautiful little boys. They bring so much happiness and joy to our home that it's hard to think of how boring it must have been without them! I'm grateful for the little girl that I'm carrying, for the ease of my pregnancy and the anticipation of her arrival into our family. She's going to be a busy little girl! She's constantly moving and kicking and doing cartwheels or something in my belly! I'm thankful for my parents. I don't think anyone really truly realizes how much their parents must love them until they have kids of their own and it gives you a small taste of how much you are really loved. I miss my mom and dad so much. I wish I could do something to ease the trials they are experiencing right now and that I could just wave my magic wand and have all the junk they are wading through go away. And lastly, for the sake of time and space, I am grateful for the church that I belong to. In a world of ugliness, despair, chaos, and drama, I am thankful for the hope that I find through Jesus Christ that there is beauty and peace, joy & cohesiveness. I have a strong belief in the Book of Mormon and in modern day Prophets, and I know that Jesus will come to the earth again and we must be prepared for that day. I am grateful we have the opportunity to celebrate his birth and his life and the true sense of giving everything that we can to help one another find happiness. Hope you all are able to find joy and peace and thankfulness throughout this Holiday Season. Best Wishes!!
Sunday, November 30, 2008
A Time for Thanks
Posted by
Julie G.
at
Sunday, November 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment