I wish that I had really put more effort into Halloween day/night because Tyler & Bryce were so into witches and ghosts and pumpkins that they would have loved ANYTHING that I would have done....instead, they got nothing and I regret it. My mom always went all out for Halloween dinners, we typically had sloppy joes, and she'd bring out "witches brew" around the little kids, and we'd drink it up through a red vine straw. We always carved pumpkins and put candles in them and did our duty as a dentist's family to pass out toothbrushes instead of candy. It was the culminating night to all of the hype the whole month before hand. At least we had real pumpkins this year...I couldn't motivate myself to deal with the smell of pumpkin guts to even attempt carving. We cut out sugar cookies & decorated them but only because of a Young Women's activity and I had all the intentions in the world of doing a fun festive dinner, but we ended up with Taco Bell carry out! Woo hoo!
At least we participated in Trick or Treating and I have to say that my kids were the cutest in the neighborhood! :) I owe my mom all the credit for the costumes because she nabbed them for me at the MOT sale. Bryce was a frog, and Tyler was a Dragon. They each had their little pumpkin buckets that apparently would not let go of for anything the whole night! We had decided that Marc would get to take the kids around while I stayed home and passed out candy. They were pretty good at saying "Trick or Treat" but instead of saying "thank you" they would say "get more!" and start running to the next house. They were out later than I expected them and finally as it started getting real dark I see these two little boys somewhat bent over because they're trying to haul their buckets behind them and are absolutely exhausted! They had a blast and were so excited to just sit down and eat a sucker (of all things). Here in Cincinnati, you don't go door to door. People wait outside their houses and you go up to them to get your candy....it's still bizarre to me but mostly just different. Most of the time, a whole group of neighbors will all set up "camp" right next to each other, so you just walk from chair to chair. Living in a large neighborhood with a lot of kids, we were expecting an onslaught of trick-or-treaters but I would say there was probably 25 kids max that came through. I have way too much candy left at my house!! Not to mention the stash that the kids brought in and we've been eating behind their backs. One of the neighbors got a picture of the kids dressed up so hopefully we can get a copy of that from her, or we'll just have to dress them up again and "pretend" its Halloween for the sake of ONE picture! I HATE NOT HAVING A CAMERA!!!!
Thursday, November 6, 2008
Halloween
Posted by
Julie G.
at
Thursday, November 06, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment