We were invited up to my sister-in-law's cabin for the weekend of July 15-17. We drove up Friday night and I struggled big time with car sickness. The older I get, the less I tolerate windy roads. That and the kids had to stop and go to the bathroom. Any tips for getting little girls to go potty without a toilet? We were lucky to find an outhouse, but even then she threw a tantrum before giving in. It just makes traveling a little more difficult if we're in remote areas.
We enjoyed staying up late and talking the first night. The boys went right to sleep upstairs with all the rest of the big kids so that was nice, but Lexi sure struggled ALL night long. She spent the first half of the night in bed with me until she rolled right off. Then she spent the second half on the airbed waking up and crying out. She always has a hard time sleeping in new places, I keep hoping she'll get better....I'm beginning to wonder if that will ever happen!
The next day we just had a lazy morning. The kids enjoyed playing with each other. Jen made sourdough pancakes. We headed down to the lake around 10:30. The bigger kids (7-11) got to go boating first. The little kids (5 and under) made quick work with the sand toys and the beachThey had a good time for about 20 minutes, but started to get cold (we were really shaded) and were very jealous of the other kids on the boat. I'm not sure what time the other kids came back
But we were sure excited to see them!
Uncle Scott took us on a ride out to "rat island". We could see it across the lake, and thought maybe it was 2-3 miles away. The idea of swimming out to it was expressed by some....but when we brought out our Garmin and tracked it, the island was almost 6 or 7 miles away! Crazy! The boys loved being on the boat.
Lexi hated it. She cried the entire time.
We got out to Rat Island, and explored this little cove. Uncle Scott made up this great story about how it was once a hiding spot for Pirates, so he dubbed it "Pirate's Cove" The kids had fun looking for treasures.
We went back across the lake to meet up with everyone else for lunch. My parents were able to drive up and share a picnic lunch with us on the beach. They went out on the boat with the bigger kids, while Marc and I took all the rest of them back to the cabin for quiet time. Lexi & I took a nap, while the boys watched a show. They were later joined by the whole clan. I love how they're all hovered around the little laptop:
The biggest hit of the cabin trip was this rope swing just outside the cabin. My boys spent as much swinging as they could! It got even better when Daddy launched them:
I couldn't get a decent picture of them while they were up in the air. This is blurry, but at least you can see how happy he is:
You can get an idea of how high they were going:
Isn't he cute? Good grief, I can't believe how grown up he is!
I fixed chilli mac, fresh green beans, pears, cherries and lemon bars for dinner. Trying to cook for 16 people is always tricky! Especially with picky eaters and an unfamiliar kitchen. But I think it turned out well.
We stayed up late playing "Settlers of Catan" and "Rook" together. We enjoyed not having to worry about babysitters, or trying to hurry up to get the kids home and in bed, since they were already in bed!
We left Sunday morning in time to get back for church so I could teach sharing time. It was a short trip, but great to be able to spend time with my family :)
Tuesday, August 9, 2011
Cascade
Posted by
Julie G.
at
Tuesday, August 09, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What a fun getaway. It's nice you have so much family around to play with
So much fun! :)
Sounds like heaven -- all but Lexi crying on the boat. Been there. Done that. Got a closet full of that t-shirt, but everything else sounded so good -- especially the sleeping in and fresh pancakes. No. Everyone together, focusing on each other -- that's the good stuff.
Post a Comment