We"d love to hear from you...Send us an email!

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Making Progress

I've been hitting the gym pretty hard this month. My house has suffered because of it....but that's another story. I've been encouraged by my sister-in-law to run a sprint triathlon with her in April. At first I hesitated because I just didn't feel like I would be ready that quick, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized it was a good first race because you swim the night before in a pool and then bike and run the next day. So, 1) its not the mass swim start that you normally face in a triathlon getting kicked and mulled over and such and 2) I swim the laps during a designated time so even if I am the last person to finish, at last I won't be the lone person struggling in the pool 3) I only have to worry about one transition instead of two.

As of yesterday, I'm officially signed up for the race so the pressure is on. I am most worried about the swim, I've talked previously that I have NEVER swum laps in a pool before. I know enough about swimming, that I won't drown easily, but I'm tired after 50 yards and the swim portion of the triathlon is 750! Seriously, getting in the pool to workout is one of the hardest things I've done sports wise. I was finally convinced to take a "Masters Class" with my sister-in-law and so I went for the first time this week. I was really nervous about going, I just didn't want to feel stupid in front of really good swimmers.....but it turns out most people are like me and have learned to swim by lessons & working hard. Kevin, the coach was super nice & spent so much time working with me. I swam in flippers the whole time and it was no big deal. My biggest problem was my head placement. I want to look in front of me too much & my head is too high in the water. I spent most of the first class figuring out where my head should be and where it should be in relation with my body when I need to take a breath. Leaving the class, I felt confident that I CAN do this, especially if I keep going to the class twice a week. 20 more days to train, yowzers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck. I'm sure that you will do great.

Ducksfly2gether said...

Keep it up! Sounds awesome and FUN!

Celeste@MomBodFitness said...

So excited for you! You are super talented and will pick up the swimming in no time! Yeah, for triathlons and making us get out of our comfort zone!