Lexi has been waiting all summer to start up preschool again! She loves going to preschool and asked nearly every day when she was going to go again!
Her big day finally came on Monday, September 9th.
We decided to do a co-op again. There are 3 kids from last years group, and 3 new ones. One other mom and I are expecting a baby within the next couple of weeks, so we got to have it first and even get a "break" from the rotation in October.
I started with the first day, and got the letter "A" again. I struggled with what to do. Since we do have a few of the same kids from last year, I didn't want to do the same curriculum/craft that I already did---even though I thought it was awesome! At the last minute, I finally decided to do "ants" the first day and "apples" the second day.
The kids cut and paste their "A"'s on a piece of paper, then stamped their thumbs up and down it for little ants. I was pretty surprised with how much of a disparity there is in motor skills. We had hoped to push the curriculum to more of a Kindergarten level this year, but with some of the kids not knowing how to hold a pencil or trace a letter, I don't think we're going to get as far ahead as we'd hoped. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.
"Ants on a log"for snack.
Instead of making copies every week for the kids to practice letters, we invested in some workbooks for the kids that just stay with the supply box. I was surprised with how eager some of the kids were to keep turning pages and continue working! We'll see if that enthusiasm continues once the novelty has worn off :)
I think it'll be a good year. I know Lexi will have a great time and just having something of her own to look forward to and do every week while Mom is busy with the baby will make a huge difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment