We"d love to hear from you...Send us an email!

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Summer Time!

The end of school was crazy! I was burned out and I wasn't even the one going every day! I showed up to volunteer a couple of times and the teachers turned me away because there wasn't anything they needed help with at that point. First grade had their first ever spelling bee amongst the different classes. Both my boys earned the chance to be 1 of 5 to represent their classes and go against each other. From what I heard from them, they both did awesome, but got beat out by the girls. We were happy to have them home for awhile and not have to wake up so early to catch the bus every day!


Lexi had a fun little preschool graduation at Miss Chelsea's house. They made their own graduation caps, played games, ate food, and enjoyed balloons, flowers, and treat bags sent home with them. I of course didn't get any pictures. 

As soon as we found out we were having a girl, I started purging all the boy stuff that we didn't use/ had outgrown. I had like 8 storage bins full of clothes and shoes. I invited ward members and friends to come pick what they wanted. A couple of people came, took garbage bags full, but I still had a TON left. We had a garage sale and I sold all of the clothes and shoes for $.25/piece. I had pretty steady traffic, some people grabbed a ton, some only 1 or 2 pieces. It's always interesting to see what people buy at a garage sale. In the area we live in, there's no point in trying to get money out of something, or trying to sell it for what its valued at. If there's stuff I really want to try and get something decent out of it money wise, I'll list it on craigslist. Still, we managed to make a couple hundred dollars over the course of 2 days and I feel like we've gotten rid of so much STUFF that has just been sitting around taking up space. I had my moment of bittersweetness as I put what boy stuff didn't sell into garbage bags to take to Goodwill. The sense of letting go of objects for their sentimental value and trying to keep the memories alive instead. It felt good to let go. 

Swimming lessons quickly started and we were at the YMCA nearly every day. The kids were all taking lessons while I was teaching. They are turning into excellent swimmers and I'm really proud of them! We got into a good routine of working, eating lunch at the park, going home and having quiet time, and then playing, reading, resting until Daddy got home. Fridays were nice because I didn't have to get in the pool and we could have kind of a "lazy day". 

Summer has definitely gotten off to a good start and we are excited about the fun times ahead of us!

1 comment:

Jaclyn said...

That's awesome that not only did you get to give things away but still make some money you could turn around and put to good use (if you want to)!