I was asked by Bryce's teacher if I would help chaperone the first grade field trip on Friday, May 3. I needed to be there by 8 and wouldn't be back until 2:30, siblings were not invited. So I had to find somewhere for Lexi to go. 6.5 hours is a long time for someone to take on another kid! After checking around a bit, my mom could watch her, but only until 12:00. My sister-in-laws in the area were not available, but my cousin who lives in Caldwell was. Marc took Lexi to my parents house on his way to work, and then my dad was kind enough to drive Lexi back out here to my cousin's house so Christy could watch her until I got back. Phew!
Ms. Hancock was very prepared the day of the field trip. She had color coded stickers for the different groups and their "mom" for the day. We had backpacks to take the kids lunches in, and each of us got our own itineraries. I was pretty impressed. I had 6 kids to watch over for the day. We sat by each other on the bus (ugh, the bus ride....worst part of the day! Loud, chaotic, smelly, and crowded). I was responsible for making sure they got where they needed to go and no little ducks wandered off. Easier said than done!
First stop for our group was the Natural History Museum at the College of Idaho. We had a "scavenger hunt" of items we had to find. Then we went up to the Planetarium, which was pretty cool. It was a little above the kids' heads, but they really enjoyed learning about the constellations and planets.
We joined the other groups for a huge picnic lunch on the grounds of the College of Idaho. It was good to see Tyler and make sure he was having a good time. The boys both had lunchables for their lunch. That was the huge treat when I was growing up and had field trips, so I thought they would enjoy them too.
We then traveled to the Caldwell Police Department. After a brief tour of the Station, the kids got to talk with an officer and climb in the back of a squad car. We learned all about the utility belt they carry with them and the training involved with becoming a police officer. "Kids say the darndest things" should have been with our group. Oh man! These kids have no filter, they were hilarious.
After the Police Department, we walked over to the Fire Station and had a presentation done there by the fire fighters. Kids got to touch all sorts of tools, climb through the fire truck, and ask all the questions they wanted. By this time, the kids were done. It was hot, our last stop, and we were wiped out!
It was a great day, but too long! Too much crammed in to one day, especially for 6 and 7 year olds.
On May 8th, Lexi had a field trip with her preschool to the zoo. The weather was really nice, most of the animals were out and active, and she loved being there with her friends. Her favorite part was the prairie dog "bubbles" that you can stick your head into and be part of the exhibit. Of course, I didn't have a camera. She also loved feeding the goats and sheep. After the zoo, we had a picnic out in the park. She has been to the zoo maybe a handful of times. It made me feel kind of sad that we haven't been more often, that used to be a weekly summer activity with the boys!
Wednesday, August 7, 2013
Field Trips
Posted by
Julie
at
Wednesday, August 07, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment