We"d love to hear from you...Send us an email!

Monday, December 28, 2009

Tips for using coupons

I've talked to lots of people about coupons over the last couple of months and gotten a lot of mixed feelings about them. A lot of people want to start, but don't know how. Some people try, but find they're spending more money just to use the coupon. Others think coupons are only for junk food. And some have no interest whatsoever, they hate shopping, and the thought of spending more time preparing for a shopping trip they are dreading is too much.

I've been there! I was so skeptical at first but now I cringe at the thought of going to the store and NOT using coupons. Coupons are like cash. In fact, Rite Aid PAYS me to shop there. I submit rebates online and within a couple of weeks get a check or gift card from them for more than I spent total out of pocket.

Here's a few tips for how to get started:

1. Get a Sunday paper: Just make the phone call and get started. I put off coupon-ing for so long because we didn't subscribe to the paper and I was too lazy to just call and find out how much it cost and start subscribing.
2. Subscribe to a couple of blogs: I use google reader which makes life so simple. Instead of clicking on each blog I follow every day to see if they've updated, I open up google reader and anyone who has updated shows up right away. I can star the pages I like to come back to them later.
My favorite blogs: hip2save.blogspot.com, myfrugaladventures.com, fabulesslyfrugal.com, & athriftymom.com.
These ladies do all the work for me besides actually cutting out the coupon and going to the store. Most are compensated when you click on a link in their post and print if off. I honestly subscribed to more than 20 coupon blogs when I first started, these are the ones I find the best for me.
3. Never spend more money just to use your coupon: If the store brand is still cheaper after you would use a coupon with the name brand product, get the store brand one! Ideally, you want to match your coupons with the sales that are taking place at the stores. That's why I subscribe to the blogs. They go through the ads, match up the sale items with coupons available either through the paper or printable from the internet and how to get the most value out of your coupon.
4. Know what kind of items you can use coupons for: I have used coupons to get fresh fruit, meat, yogurt, milk, eggs, personal products (deodorant, shampoo, makeup, feminine hygiene, etc) and so much more than the typical fruit snacks and granola bars that are associated with coupons.
5. Keep to a budget: Because we've been on WIC, and have had our milk, eggs, baby food, and some cereal taken care of, I don't have a realistic budget for our family. Mine has been a lot lower than what would be normal, but its still exceptionally lower than what we spent before coupons. I used to go to the store for a quick trip, have like 9 things in my cart and spend $50 easily. Now $50 is two weeks worth of food/cleaning supplies/diapers/ personal products, etc.
6. Don't get discouraged. It's overwhelming at first. It takes a little time, but you CAN do it! Ask questions, get organized, but just start, That's the key. You can't do anything if you don't start. What are you waiting for :)

No comments: