President Spencer W. Kimball said: “God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other in the kingdom” (“There Is Purpose in Life,” New Era, Sept. 1974, 5).
We're well over 100 days without a full-time job. Any money we earn goes straight to rent or living expenses, without question, its tight. It's stressful. With Christmas approaching, I had no idea how we were going to make it fun for the kids (and ourselves) let alone pay the bills. I was able to get two little Thomas Trains for the boys, and a box of wood puzzles for free through Amazon & Swagbucks. A couple of months ago, I picked up an imaginex castle with knights that was used for $10 and have been hiding it from the boys ever since. It wouldn't be much, but the boys would have something to open on Christmas.
And then the doorbell started ringing. I won't share all the details, but my heart is ready to burst from the amount of love, kindness and generosity shown to our family. I have never felt the tender mercies of our Heavenly Father so much than I have this Christmas season. Our family had the "biggest" Christmas that we've ever had before, because of our families, and others who have given so much, so that we could have something. We are truly grateful. Words alone cannot express what I feel in my heart. Know that it has been a day of pure joy for us.
We celebrate the birth of Christ today. More than that, we celebrate His life, his example of selfless service and love to all. It's not about the presents under the tree. We would have been just fine if all we opened was a train and a castle. But the fact that we got to open so much more helped us to feel the love of Christ that much more. From the bottom of our hearts we thank you and wish you all a Merry Christmas. May the joy of Christmas remain with you throughout the year.
2 comments:
I'm so happy for all of you. I'm glad that your family had a good Christmas. It's wonderful to know that those around us are in tune with the spirit when someone needs help. It is such a wonderful feeling to know that there is still so much love out there and so many that are willing to give to those in need. I think about your family often and I wish you much luck in the job search.
It's amazing that in our hardest times in our lives the people that rally around us and lift us up. Thinking of you and your family. Merry Christmas Julie!
Post a Comment