Well, at least they're not supposed to anyway. Especially in the middle of the grocery store causing a scene!!
So, we're enrolled in WIC. I am beyond grateful for the program, the amount of money that we are able to save in groceries has been a major blessing in our life. But I hate so many parts of the way that it is set up! We go in every 3 months to "certify" which isn't a big deal....but I have to subject myself to someone elses's opinions about how, when, what, and how long I'm feeding my children. In July, they're changing parts of the program so we now get fresh produce and some whole grains in addition to the other foods. I had to watch this movie about it and hear the nutristionist explain everything. I was really excited to get the new vouchers, but found out at the very end that I won't get them until September when I go back because they can't process the new vouchers and the old ones at the same time (??) I felt like it was such a waste of my time!!
Alright, can't change it, just have to move forward. We were waiting for our appointment today so I could get my new vouchers and go grocery shopping. After spending so much time in the appt, I was not looking forward to dragging the kids to the store, but didn't have a choice. I had to pick up a few other things besides food so I just went to Walmart to do it all at once (not my number 1 choice to get food). Anyway, our vouchers have certain foods listed on them, and different amounts that I am able to purchase. For instance, one voucher will have 1 lb of cheese, 2 gallons of milk, 2-12 oz frozen 100% juice, 36 oz of cereral, etc. There are rules about what type of cereal you can get (has to be above 12 oz, and only certain kinds are allowed......most cereals are 12.8 oz, but you can't go over 36 so I feel like I'm getting jipped) We can get orange, apple, grape, or cranberry juice, but it can't be "calucium fortified" orange juice, and had to be the cheapest priced. Walmart was OUT of all the juices I could get. I thought I could subsitute with "minute maid" because what else was I suppsed to do? Went to check out and the cashier tells me I can't get that juice. I explained that they were all out and she just got all haughty with me and tells me, "we've been specifically told that we can't subsitute or we'll lose our license, you should just try coming back tomorrow". I said that I would lose the voucher (use it or lose it at time or purchase, unpurchased items don't roll over) and she just kind of gives me that look of "what do you expect me to do about it?" Maybe it was because I couldn't fall asleep last night until 2:30, and then the baby was up at 3:00; Or that I spent 2 hours in an appointment that should have taken us 30 minutes, then had to go to the store with all 3 kids in tow, but there I was in the Walmart check out line getting all emotional and started crying my eyes out! I was embarrassed, frustrated, but most just irritated at the unnecessary complexity of government programs and unhelpful cashiers. A manager finally came up to find out why there was a crying lady in the store, and went in the back to find some "WIC approved" Orange Juice for me. Fortunately, all 3 kids took a nap when we got home, so I was able to get some sleep too. I woke up feeling much better, but I am certainly looking forward to the day when I can afford to buy whatever kind of juice I want. This is a humbling time for us. Its hard to feel like so many things are out of our control, but we're just trying to have faith that all will work out. I just keep telling myself that it won't be like this forever...but in the meantime, I'm just trying to be grateful for what I do have. Even if I have to go through some grief and embarassment to get them.
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Big Girls Don't Cry
Posted by
Julie G.
at
Tuesday, June 02, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment