We"d love to hear from you...Send us an email!

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Deceptively Delicious

So I watched an Oprah show way back in October and saw Jessica Seinfeld (wife of Jerry Seinfeld) talking about her new cookbook and the strategy behind hiding vegetables in the food your preparing. I was really inspired because it is already a struggle to get my kids to eat vegetables (not to mention myself). So to start out the New Year we bought the cookbook and a food processor to help us get going. The whole idea is to puree all of the vegetables (and some fruits) and to strategically hide them by putting them in foods with similar colors. So for instance, I made grilled cheese sandwiches last night for dinner and blended the cheese with sweet potato puree before putting it on the bread. This morning we had scrambled eggs with cauliflower hidden in them and this evening we had chicken nuggets with broccoli. I also made some chocolate chip cookies with chick peas in them and nobody could tell! The sandwiches and chicken nuggets were a huge hit. The boys chowed them down. The eggs probably need something else because Tyler wouldn't eat them but Bryce did. So anyway, I'll keep you updated with how our new project is going because I'm really excited about it. Wish us luck!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I got this cook book for Christmas, and I am not sure if I am going to use it. My kids really like veggies, and we do not have a problem getting them to eat them. I am also not go sure about the extra time it will take to make the dinners. I have a lot with finding things for Spencer to share with the family I think adding something else into the mix may be too much for me. If you know anyone that wants the cook book let me know.

*katie said...

Definitely let me know what you think once you've used it more. I've looked at the book once or twice at the store, but I couldn't decide if I would use it or not. Keep me posted!

Tolmans said...

Jewels- that is awesome. Seriously keep us posted cause I am so interested. I got on Oprah's blog off her website after that show and there were several people who had gotten a similar cookbook that the cookies and brownies and some other things were just a touch better than the ones in this one. They said the texture was better, but let me know what you think. LOVE YOU!!