Wednesday, October 9th was Isabel's 2 week Doctor's appointment. I brought Lexi with me this time. Baby had done awesome with gaining weight. She almost caught up to her birth weight, she weighed in at 8 lbs 14.5 oz. She had to get pricked in the foot and blood work sent in for whatever standard test they do. When she was born, the hospital nurses said she was 22.5" long, but at the pediatricians office, they think she's only 21.25". Not sure how the hospital was off by so much!
I had noticed a lump in between Isabel's neck and shoulder so brought it up to Dr. Kiehl. He felt it, gave me a concerned look and started examining her use of motion with her left arm and pain levels. He was quite certain that she had fractured her collar bone at birth. He thought it was probably the way her arm was positioned when she came through the birth canal. Since she was moving her left arm around pretty well, he wasn't too worried about her, but wanted to take x-rays just in case. I asked what we'd have to do if it was broken, he told me they use the shirts that newborns wear in the hospital and pin one of the arms to the baby's side (essentially like a straight jacket). That sounded terrible. We knew Isabel would hate it! The doctor wanted us to go from the appointment to the hospital to take x-rays, but I had to rush home because I didn't have plans for the boys to go home with anyone once they got off the bus.
My sister-in-law had offered to take Lexi for the whole day on Thursday, but I wasn't sure how I was going to get Lexi to her. Having to take Isabel to the hospital in Boise made the trip necessary, and I met Codi at her Dentist to drop Lexi off with her. She got to enjoy going to the movie "Planes", playing with cousins, and spending the whole day having fun. Marc picked her up and took her home with he and the boys when they went to football that night.
Meanwhile, Isabel and I went to St. Al's hospital to get x-rays. It took a while to get registered and the imaging center was pretty busy so we got to spend lots of time waiting. Fortunately, she slept the entire time. Finally, it was our turn, and I got to go in with her, help undress her and lay her down on the table. I went behind a wall with a second technician while the first pinned Isabel down so she'd be still for the x-ray. I don't have a whole lot of experience reading x-rays, but I definitely noticed an abnormality to her clavicle bone in the 2 seconds it was up on the screen.
The pediatrician's office called a couple of hours later to confirm that yes, she had fractured her collar bone, but it was healing well on it's own and they did not think they needed to intervene. They said to call if she showed any changes to her range of motion with her arm or appeared to be in pain, but at this point she looked good. Thank Heavens! Blows my mind that she had a broken bone and we had no idea! If I hadn't have noticed the bump and brought it up to the doctor we wouldn't have ever known. What a tough little girl!
Monday, November 4, 2013
2 week check up
Posted by
Julie
at
Monday, November 04, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment