We"d love to hear from you...Send us an email!

Monday, July 9, 2012

Failing to run

Since May, I've been trying to get back into running because we signed up for another Relay in August. It's always a struggle to get running again.

One night I was going to do a 3 mile run, was feeling so great at the 1.5 mile turnaround point, that I decided to keep going up to the top of the hill (forgetting how far up that top of the hill really was). I finally made it up to the top, turned around to go back down and my knees started to give out on me. I pushed through it for awhile, but the pain started shooting up to my hips and it was too much for me to bare. I tried walking and running for a little bit, but it just made things worse so I just had to walk/limp home.

Thinking it was just a flukey thing, the next time I picked a flatter course, things were fine until the 1.5 mile point and when I turned around, that's when the pain started. I made it another half mile until I had to give up. I tried taping it up the next time I went out and only made it a mile. I rested it for 10 days, took a bunch of ibuprofen before running and we took the kids out for a family workout (Marc did bike/run intervals, the kids biked around the track, and I attempted to run) I made it one time around the track before the pain started bothering me, walked the next lap, tried again to run and failed miserably.

I can bike, I can swim, I can walk, but I can't run. My doctor thinks its autoimmune related. They ache at night now, even without physical activity so I'm pretty sure she's right. She suggested Fish oil, Vitamin D and Glucosamine, in addition to doubling the anti-inflammatory that I'm on right now. I've been on the Fish Oil & Vitamin D for a week now, but I'm waiting to try running until I've tried the Glucosamine...it's quite spendy so I'm trying to shop around a little to get the best price. I'm just super frustrated right now. It's not like running is my heart and soul, but I do love to race and and compete and running and training is part of that. I have an appointment with a Rheumatologist (a doctor who specializes in auto-immune diseases) but its not until August 3. I just hope I can get some answers. When I try to research on-line, I don't have all the symptoms or some of the most identifying symptoms to clearly diagnose anything. I guess time will tell.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

So sorry for the disappointment. Matt runs -- no pun intended -- into the same problem. He's been working for a triathlon in August, but the running creates such pain in his knees and feet. He keeps having to cut back. HE still bikes and swims. Is there such a thing as a di-athlon?

Julie G. said...

Suzanne, there are "aqua-thons" where you just swim and bike. They have one at the Emmett triathlon I was going to do in August. Hope that helps!