We"d love to hear from you...Send us an email!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Working Momma

January kicked off a new session of swimming lessons for me to teach in the form of preschoolers and adults. I feel like I'm constantly being pushed out of my comfort zone with swim lessons, which is good for me, but a little stressful at the same time. I took on an adult swim lesson course, which originally had 3 people signed up, but 2 dropped out at the last minute so I was essentially teaching private lessons (without the benefit of getting paid more).

I worked with a lady who could swim ok, but she'd all of the sudden panic in the water, freeze up, and freak out. She really wanted to swim in the mini-triathlon that they Caldwell Y puts on every January and I had about 2 weeks to try and get her to a point where she would stand a chance of finishing the swim (400 yards). It took me a little while to realize she wasn't exhaling at all, so when we got that figured out she started to show faster progress. We worked on her balance a lot, and some simple drills to help with her comfort and confidence in the water. I put her through obstacle courses, made her swim through a hoop, grab objects from the bottom of the pool, and even jumped off the diving board. I know she felt kind of silly, but it made a big difference in her comfort level when we started swimming. At first, she was going to have someone else swim her leg in the triathlon, but she worked up enough courage to do it herself, and I'm happy to be able to so say she finished her first triathlon! The empowerment that came from finishing it has really driven her and sparked a fire to keep swimming and getting better at it. The confidence that I've been able to gain in helping others to learn to swim has been a big deal too.

I also taught one beginner level swim class on Tues/Thur, and am teaching the preschool kids swim lessons on Wednesdays with my friend Gina. The hardest part of it all is the time that the lessons are at and trying to work dinner into the factor.I had to be at the Y for my beginner lesson at 4:25, and the adult lesson ended at 6:30.

On Tuesdays, I teach the Mommy and Me Music class in the morning, volunteer at the kids' school in the afternoon, take them home, prepare for swim lessons, remember at the last minute that I have to feed the kids before 4:00, and all of us head to the YMCA until we get home at about 7:00 and get the kids in bed. We're still trying to find the balance and adjustment of Mom working a few hours each week. I was not prepared menu wise, which resulted in pizza and fast food a couple of nights after work, which is always frustrating because it feels like money washed down the toilet. This month I'm trying to plan the menu accordingly with some sack dinners and food that is quick and easy to make for the nights that I'm working. I'll probably continue to teach as much as I can through April.

2 comments:

Whitney Blake said...

Holy Cow Julie! You are one busy mamma! I don't know how you can keep everyone's schedules straight! WAY TO GO! That is really amazing about your adult student- what a difference you have made in her life.

Jaclyn said...

Oh man, being a working mama is not easy stuff! I know and though I love it some days I wonder why. ;) But isn't being a mom always a balancing act? (or is that just for me?) good luck with everything and it is so inspiring to hear how you are helping others and empowering them. You're awesome!