We"d love to hear from you...Send us an email!

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Little Readers

Tyler and Bryce are turning into quite the little readers. It is exciting to watch the world open up to them as they can recognize words, sound them out, and identify different words as we're out and about. They are currently working towards a reading goal of 600 minutes before April and if they do, the school provides them with tickets to Roaring Springs (a local water park with slides and pools). For the last couple of years, both boys have been begging to go to this waterpark. It's right off the freeway exit we take to Boise, so they see it frequently. This has been a great incentive and we're not too far away from making the goal.

We've been making frequent trips to the Library where they get to pick out their own books. Tyler goes straight for the Airplane books every time. Bryce has really taken to sea animals, particularly whales and sharks. We're reading "Junie B. Jones" books at night. They're short little chapter books about a girl going to Kindergarten. The writing is fun, but I'm struggling with how she loves to call people names, like fat, stupid, dumb, and smelly. Innocent enough, but not exactly what I want my boys calling other people. We're trying "Ramona & Beezus" this time to see how that goes. The chapters are a lot longer with not as many illustrations so we'll see how well it keeps their attention. Lexi loves "Pinkalicious", "Dora", "Curious George" and "Fancy Nancy" books. It's fun to break out into the girly books a little more instead of all the trucks, planes, and trains. I love "experiencing" books with my kids. I love seeing and hearing their excitement and laughing at the silliness.  I'm excited for them to have the independence of being able to read by themselves. Though for now, I will take all the cuddle time I can get while sharing a great book together.

2 comments:

Ducksfly2gether said...

Just found Elephant and Piggie books by Mo Willems. I haven't read them all, but Can I Play? is hilarious.

Ann Anderson said...

Julie - You should try the Magic Treehouse series. They are chapter books as well and each book is about a different adventure a brother and sister have together. We have been reading them to Dax for years and he still loves them.