Each Tuesday morning I teach a little Mommy and Me Music class. We sing songs, play with musical instruments, dance, and be silly for about 30-35 minutes. Lexi really enjoys it, it has been a fun, creative outlet for me, I make a tiny bit of spending cash, and as an added bonus, it helps to keep our house clean more regularly which is always a good thing!
When I started in September, I had an overwhelming response. I had 9 kids and their moms enrolled. We lost a few during October to sickness, and then in November, people just stopped coming without telling me they weren't going to come anymore, or any explanation to it. It was the most frustrating feeling. I didn't know if they were leaving because they didn't like my teaching, or if it was a schedule conflict, or what. The last day of November, I had just one little boy and his mom show up. We waited about 10 minutes for any others, and finally I just got through the songs I had planned for the day. It was a struggle....I felt so let down and disappointed. My music class was dieing, and I didn't know what to do about it.
I had no idea how many people to plan on for December, because people weren't communicating with me. I finally planned a free open house in December, and I had a pretty good response. But couldn't get any commitment from anyone for the rest of the month, so I cancelled it for December. All month long I went back and forth as to continue in the new year or not. I felt like if I didn't do it anymore, I would feel like such a failure and that was hard for me to accept. I had 2 kids that I knew for sure wanted to come back, but I was torn because its just not as much fun when there is not very many people. Finally, I had one more person express interest, so I made the decision to just hold it.
After the first week of class in January, I was happy with my decision to keep holding class. It's fulfilling to me to watch the kids' excitement for a new song, or learning the words and singing along with me. Getting to experience some of the kids come out of their little shy shells and really shine is rewarding. I love hearing Lexi sing the songs during the week, or pretending to have music class when she's playing. I enjoy teaching. It was a hard lesson for me that I can't stress about the numbers, but to be grateful I can do something I care about and think I have a talent for. This month we're singing songs about Valentines and Food, what can be better than that!
Wednesday, February 8, 2012
Music Class
Posted by
Julie G.
at
Wednesday, February 08, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment