We"d love to hear from you...Send us an email!

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Yard Sale

We're trying to get a little extra cash to help with Christmas and some other miscellaneous purchases that don't quite fit into the budget. So, we decided with 5 days notice to have a yard sale! Fortunately, I had sorted the baby/kids clothes when we moved in February, so it was a matter of labeling/pricing them and finding some other odds and ends to throw in too. Marc brought out some of sports memorabilia that's just been sitting in a bin since we left Cincinnati. I pulled out a bunch of stuff that I'd gotten for free from using coupons that I wasn't crazy about (different air fresheners, lotions, chapsticks, etc). We invited Gina & Bryan to bring over anything they wanted to get rid of, and early Saturday morning, we opened up shop!
We had a steady flow of people from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm. The boys (& Lexi) had a little table with homemade cookies and our big bowl of Roma tomatoes that they were selling for $.25 each.
Tyler is quite the little salesman "Cookies, cookies for sale!" "Would you like to buy some cookies, it's for books!" They had their own little jar, and all their profit went towards book orders. From 8-12, they made $13, not too shabby I'd say!

Sales went ok, but not as great as I was hoping for. By the end of the day, I was still staring at two very full tables of kids clothes. After talking to Gina, we decided to try again at her house the next Friday and I'd just sell all the clothes for $.50 each. I picked out the clothes I thought I could more for at a consignment store and boxed up the rest to take to Gina's. In the meantime, I raided the house again for more things to sell, found a bunch of things of mouthwash, candles, weights, more toys, and more kids books. Her neighbor right around the corner was having a HUGE sale, had advertised in the papers and already had signs up, so we took full advantage of it! We had a good flow of people all day. Our hottest items that we sold was all the soaps, mouthwash, lotions, cleaning stuff that we had spent little to nothing on. My clothes did better this time. I still had a bunch left, so I lowered them to $.25 each and then people started walking away with laundry baskets full. I'm just happy to have gotten rid of what I did. We made about $250 (combination of both sales). And I still have some nice clothes to take to the consignment store and get some store credit for some winter clothes & shoes for Lexi. We're happy to have done as well as we did, and definitely feel better about getting rid of so much stuff that just sits around in our house!

2 comments:

MrsJGlutz said...

We have a TON of stuff we are going to be putting up in our yard sale next summer, I don't want to imagine what it is gonna be like getting ready

Jaclyn said...

That's amazing!