We"d love to hear from you...Send us an email!

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11

10 years ago. Could it have really been 10 years ago? I remember waking up for class, as a sophomore at BYU, and coming out to the living room where my roommate had the TV on. I could see the two towers smoking and I just couldn't make sense of what had happened. Like most people, I couldn't stop watching the TV. I couldn't believe that someone could do such a thing, and for what purpose? As news started to trickle in about other attacks, I started to get scared. I knew I only lived in Provo, UT, but I was terrified about what might happen next. Marc and I were dating at the time. I'm not sure how we met up, but we eventually did. Classes were cancelled, and they had a special devotional where President Hinckley addressed the church and brought a sense of peace.. There was a lot of sadness, but hope. I remember the unity of the nation in the weeks afterwards. You would walk down a street, and every house was flying an American Flag. Candlelight vigils were held where strangers would come together and sing Patriotic songs. We were stronger as a Nation and would rise up out of the ashes.

This weekend, I've been overwhelmed by the courage and bravery of the First Responders. Watching everything replayed, the stories of victims & survivors and the sheer devastation of what happened in a matter of a few hours. It's been sobering. We watched "Music and the Spoken Word" today with the kids and the boys had a lot of questions about the firefighters and what they were doing in some of the clips that were shown. We tried to explain that they were very brave men, who risked their lives to help others after a very bad and evil thing was done. I hope we can continue to find hope, and unity. I pray that we don't have to have another event like 9/11 to bring our nation together again. And I hope that we can all stand up and feel that pride in our hearts that "I am proud to be an American"

1 comment:

Jaclyn said...

LOL, do you want to know what I remember? I remember sleeping in my bed and Rachelle came in and woke me up and said, "Hey did you hear what happened...?" My immediate thought process beside, "Gee I am tired" was, "Um, no. You just woke me up from sleeping. How in the world would I have known that?!" ;)