We"d love to hear from you...Send us an email!

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Talks in Church

Marc & I were asked to give talks in church today. He got the topic "how wholesome recreational activities can bless families" and I got "how repentance and forgiveness bless families". Hmmm. Somebody definitely got the better end of the bargain and it wasn't me!!

We woke up this morning to find 2 of the 3 kids sick with fever and one of them throwing up. I thought I was off the hook. I almost did a happy dance. Then Marc got home from his meeting and informed me they were going to add an intermediate hymn after the ward choir number so I had time to talk, then come home and switch places with Marc and both of us could still speak. Dang.

I focused most of my talk on forgiveness. Especially how important it is to teach forgiveness to our children so we can create a generation of kind-hearted, quick forgiving individuals that don't let grudges and offenses poison their lives or the lives of those around them. We live in a world that teaches you to get angry, seek and demand retribution if someone offends you and be entitled to supremacy. I was really drawn to the parable of the prodigal son this week. Especially at the end, when the son returns & the father is so happy! He was so quick to forgive, and offer his love without judgment or resentment. The brother on the other hand was so jealous and had this sense of entitlement that he was the "good child". The good child had never had a party thrown for him, and why should we welcome a sinner home with this big party? The father, in love and in wisdom tells him, let us rejoice that he is alive and home. Yes, you have been righteous, thank you. You will have your reward later on, but for now, let us forgive & celebrate.

I'm missing Marc's talk right now and I'm really bummed about it. He's an exceptional speaker and I really wanted to hear what he had to say about wholesome recreational activities (doesn't that just fit him?) I guess I'll get the reader's digest version when he comes home.

2 comments:

Jaclyn said...

Julie, It's been a while since I've been able to catch up on your blog but I enjoyed perusing through all your updates. It looks like you guys really are doing well in your new home. I am so happy for you and your family!

Cranberryfries said...

I gotta admit thats kinda funny they were able to add in an intermediate hymn to give you guys enough time to switch places. :) Sounds like you guys had some really cool talks though! And just think, now you're off the hook for hopefully a year or more.