We"d love to hear from you...Send us an email!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Potty Training......

Lexi has shown a huge amount of progress at her little age with using the potty. Recently, I've been able to sit her down on the potty and get her to go pee almost every time. We ran out of diapers last week and so I took a chance and moved her to underwear. She did awesome! Very few accidents, really excited about the underwear and would easily go to the potty when I tried to get her to go. Showing off her "Jesse underwear"
The only problem, Lexi has great bladder control, but hasn't developed her rectal muscles enough so our accidents were poop accidents. Yeah.....not pretty. I didn't want her nursery leaders to deal with accidents on Sunday at church so we stuck her in a pull-up.

Monday morning she woke up and I tried to get her to use the potty first thing, but she refused. And refused to take off her pull-up. We eventually got her into underwear that day, but she was very reluctant and had several accidents. Today, Tuesday has been worse. I tried to get her to just wear a pull-up but she refused and wanted to wear her underwear, but won't go on the potty. She screams at me every time I ask her if she wants to go. The joy of a two year old!

I'm ready to throw in the towel and wait for a few more months to try again. I didn't think I was pushing her too hard, but her regression and screaming at me for trying to have her use the potty makes me think I'm trying to get her to do something she's not ready for. But she still wants to wear underwear. I need help! Lots and lots of help. What's your best potty training suggestions?

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

The beginning of your blog, I wanted to cheer, but the end was the exact story I lived with Lydia. As soon as potty training becomes a power struggle, it's over. We're still having pooh accidents, but that is more a sibling rivalry thing with Abby's attention quota. What worked before Abby's arrival was the introduction of M&M's every time she'd peeh or pooh on the potty. Never believed in bribery....now I do. But we had to wait a while for the battle juices to settle down. With Lexi...who knows...good luck. I'm eager to hear what happens next.

Ducksfly2gether said...

I have a three year old who won't be potty trained until he does it himself :) Not my thing. Period. Good luck!!