We"d love to hear from you...Send us an email!

Sunday, June 27, 2010

4 year check ups

I finally got the boys in for their 4 year well-checkups. They passed their hearing tests with flying colors, but struggled with the eye exams. Both had trouble reading the smaller print and I've been referred to a pediatric optometrist to have a more thorough exam done. I guess I'm not really worried about it until I meet with the professional. I was quite surprised though!

Our stats, Bryce weighs 38 lbs (70%), and is 41.75 inches tall (75%). Tyler is a whopping 45.5 lbs (95%) and 41.25 inches tall (70%). Tyler's a big kid. We've known this for a while, but I'm tired of the perceptions that I get from Dr.'s and nutritionists that I'm feeding him crap, candy, and soda all the time. Bryce & Tyler have the same diet. They get the same foods, the same portions, the same 1% milk, water, and maybe a cup of 100% juice. They don't typically eat snacks, we force them to eat a good portion of vegetables and usually reward them with fruit as their dessert. Yes, Tyler eats more at dinner, but Bryce usually always out eats Tyler at breakfast. Tyler simply has a different body type than his brother, but he is just as healthy as his brother and to me, that's what matters the most, not percentiles that we're supposed to all fit into.

The boys were very well-behaved and interacted well with the Dr. Tyler even ASKED him for a shot. The crazy boy. The Dr. was happy to oblige him and laughed about it. The poor kids got nailed with 5 shots apiece. Tyler went first, tried as hard as he could to be Brave but as he kept getting poked, he was sobbing. Bryce had to sit through watching this happen to his brother and told me quite adamantly that he did NOT want a shot. I'm so sorry buddy. I had to restrain him and endure the sobbing that continued for the next hour from him about how he didn't ask for a shot, how he didn't like shots, and how it hurt. One day, they'll have needle-less vaccinations I'm sure. Thank goodness for mostly short term memories at this age! Its a little crazy to think that the next time we go in for their well check-up they'll be going in for their kindergarten check-up! YIKES!

No comments: