We started November with a lot of uncertainty and in battle mode. I had to teach preschool on Friday, November 2nd. I got a phone call from Marc about 10 minutes before I was going to start, telling me he was no longer employed at the YMCA. Talk about facing a challenge to keep it together! The news was devastating. As soon as preschool was over, we set out a plan of action. We had worked so hard to get out of debt from the last time we were without a job, and did not want to slip back into it.
As I looked at the all the food storage I had recently worked so hard to build, I was especially grateful for a full pantry that would help us get by the next few months. We have learned to live on next to nothing, so we knew we could stretch what was in the bank account until January. If we could make it to January, we knew we'd be receiving a decent tax return that could help us long term. And with Christmas right around the corner, I was thankful I had already started shopping and our kids are little enough to not recognize fewer presents under the tree.
Marc spent hours every day scouring and applying for jobs. I was grateful for the few days in the weekend before I had to go back into the Y on Tuesday to teach lessons. I was very appreciative for the concern and support from the other staff members that I work with, and that people were respective for my need of "space".
Though we faced so much uncertainty, we felt lifted up in our trials and knew that things would work out. Marc had several interviews, both on the phone with employers in Utah, and in person here in the Treasure Valley. He interviewed with Broadview University on the phone late on Monday the 12th, in person on Tuesday on the 13th and a final interview on Wednesday the 14th. He received a job offer from them Thursday morning, November 15th as I was coming home from work. We discussed the job, discussed the other options, prayed together if this was the right opportunity for him and our family and felt confident in accepting the position. In the days to follow, he turned down 3 more opportunities to interview with other companies. Each time, we felt the "have I done the right thing in accepting with Broadview so quickly??" but felt reassured that this was the right career move at this time for us, AND it allowed us to STAY in the Boise area which we are grateful for. So, it was a rocky start, but really gave us cause to find gratitude :)
Saturday, December 29, 2012
Rocky Start
Posted by
Julie G.
at
Saturday, December 29, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment