I decided to have Lexi be in my class while I taught swimming lessons during October. She was really excited and did a great job for me.
We overcame some huge obstacles this session. For weeks now, Lexi has wanted to go off the diving board, but she would get all the way up there and be absolutely terrified so she'd turn around and go back down. Seeing the two other kids in the class go off gave her some courage, so she finally jumped! Going off once was all it took for her to completely change her mind about being too scared and now its her favorite thing to do when we go swimming.
Since she did so well with going off the diving board, I introduced knee dives, and oh my word, this girl is a diver! She has no fear going into the water head first and even her toes are pointed when she enters the water. Incredible!
She went from being able to tread water for about 5 seconds to 50 seconds.
On the last day of class, I asked Lexi to jump in and see how far she could swim. She swam half the distance of a 25 all by herself! I was floored! I suggested she try to go for a yellow ribbon, so we practiced in the lap pool a little bit (she has to jump in the deep end of the lap pool and swim half the distance). When we were confident that she could do it, we grabbed a life guard and asked them to do a yellow ribbon test. This little squirt jumped in and just swam!! It was so exciting! She's 3! All of the staff has been mind boggled by her. I can't wait to see what this little fish does in the future :)
Friday, December 28, 2012
Lexi Fish
Posted by
Julie G.
at
Friday, December 28, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That's awesome! We have Austin signed up for swimming lessons (starting tonight) for two weeks. We want him to do it to learn water safety. I hope it will be a good thing for him. I think he is simultaneously excited and terrified, especially when he realized he is probably going to have to put his head under the water. I am not expecting a natural like Lexi but I would like to know he will be safe around water. We shall see.
Post a Comment