We"d love to hear from you...Send us an email!

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

When I was in 8th grade, I sat next to a girl named Trina in my English class. We were both very quiet, shy & reserved, and felt rather isolated from the rest of the class. As the semester drew on, we became friends. But at the semester break, she decided to skip the rest of 8th grade and went to high school instead. The next year, Trina shot herself and died. I remember the day I found out, it shook me to the core. Not because we were close friends. She was simply an acquaintance of mine, but the fact that she took her own life was really emotional for me. I remember just sobbing when my parents asked me how my day was. Most of the school went to her funeral, including myself. There was a picture of a rose she had drawn on the front cover of the program, and there was such a feeling of tragedy, sadness and emptiness at that funeral.

Yesterday, my mom called me and told me my Uncle Melvin (dad's brother) had died. I was completely shocked, I asked her how, and she told me that he took his own life. You could have knocked me on the head with a frying pan. Once again, those feelings of tragedy, emptiness and bewilderment overwhelmed me. I sense that people are blaming themselves for his loss. If they had done more, if they had settled their differences, IF only....There are so many questions and just an inability to comprehend how someone could end their life this way. Leaving behind loved ones with such a painful way to remember them. It's hard to celebrate a life when the person must have hated it so much that they made the choice to end it. It is my resolve to try to remember him for the good that he did in this world and not focus on the way he left it. May you rest in peace Uncle Melvin.

3 comments:

Nick & Steph said...

I was also surprised. It is always hard to lose someone, but it's even harder when there are unanswered questions. I pray that everyone will be comforted in this difficult time and maybe someday our questions will be answered.

Shauna said...

It’s so heartbreaking and my heart just aches for everyone. :( My heart just dropped when my dad told me and even though I didn't know him well I just sat there and cried. It really does make you pause and remember how quick everything can change and is a reminder to me that everyone around me is going through some kind of trail. Working on the ambulance and now for the police one thing I have learned is that no matter how someone dies there is always unanswered questions and wishing that I loved you had been said just one more time. Big hugs and lots of loves!

Suzanne said...

I'm sorry, Julie. I will be thinking of you and yours.