We"d love to hear from you...Send us an email!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Updates

Training for my 1/2 marathon is going well. I've been really committed to my training schedule and getting my mileage in each week. Last Saturday, Gina and I ran 8 miles in the nastiest conditions of rain and wind. I wanted to turn around several times, but we persevered and it was very satisfying to feel myself getting stronger and my endurance picking up. I need a new pair of shoes. I've never loved the shoes I bought last year (I got the cheapest "nicest" brands I could) and it becoming increasingly evident in how much pain I'm experiencing during/after my long runs how important shoes are. I've been saving Christmas & Birthday money to help pay for them. A good pair is going to cost me over $100 probably. I've struggled with finding the time to go do it, not to mention the gas involved with driving down town to the specialty running stores. I'm hoping to get down there this week, but we'll see. I'm also training for the Spring Sprint Triathlon which is this Friday/Saturday. I'll be swimming 750 meters in the pool on Friday night, then biking 12.5 miles/running 3.2 miles on Saturday. Last year I never paid attention to my time, I just wanted to finish it. This year, I want to beat my times and really push myself to accomplish some goals so there's a little more pressure put on myself. I'm excited though and can't wait to see where I'm at.

Working. I've started babysitting a 1 year old little girl named Mayson. Watching her has definitely made my "baby" not a baby anymore. Lexi seems entirely too grown up next to Mayson. The boys have really been a big help with her. They love playing with her and trying to make her happy. All 3 kids have loved having all the baby toys, high chair, and pack n' play come out again. It's so funny what a novelty it is to them. Easy entertainment I guess :) I took all 4 kids to the store today. 4 isn't really that much more work than 3, but I was shocked at all the stares and attention we received. It's fun to have a "baby" in the house again, but it also helps me know that we are in no hurry to add more children to our family. 3 feels great right now!

Preschool. I have spent many hours deliberating over preschool, and I finally feel like I'm ready to move forward with running a preschool out of my home. I have a lot to do. My biggest worry is the upfront costs involved with getting it up to par in the way that I want it to be. I want to be a high quality experience for a valuable price. I'll be converting the garage into a classroom. I really want to build the curriculum around books, and taking concepts from books (counting, mixing colors, sharing, etc) and reinforcing them with activities/crafts etc. I want music to be a big part of our small circle time as well stations that allow the kids to learn through play. I want a wood kitchen and dress up items for boys and girls. I want a building area, a library, and a work area with table and chairs. I want organized storage. I spent way too much time on Amazon looking at furniture, storage items, and educational toys/materials. Call me a geek, but I love that kind of stuff :) Like I said, I'm excited, but I have a LOT to do. I need to start getting the word out and advertising with flyers and what not. My income depends on the number of kids enrolled, ideally that's 6-8. At this point, I'm just doing one class, two times a week for 4-5 year olds. I feel good about it! Now, I just have to start making it happen!

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

You are a busy woman! So impressed with your goals and great attitude! Wish I could have heard both of your talks -- you could post your notes or email them when you have a chance. Happy Belated B-Day too. Never fear, the 30's were spectacular! I'm closer to 50 now than 40 most decidedly and am only now beginning to feel some "age". All good.

Jaclyn said...

Wow you're ambitious! I hope everything comes together well. I'm sure it will be awesome!