We"d love to hear from you...Send us an email!

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Susie & Jason's Wedding

My mom called me up one day and asked me to be her date to my cousin Susie's wedding. How could I resist such an offer to get a weekend away from the kids, so of course I said YES! and away we went. We left on Friday the 16th, flew down to Salt Lake, rented a car and drove down to Manti, UT, which was where the wedding was the next morning. My mom got such a kick out of all the little small towns in Utah. She took pictures of us in front of where we ate, and our dinky hotel room. We felt like big "city" folk coming all the way from Boise, ID. We checked into the hotel, and there was 1 girl running the place, which happened to be an ice cream shop, DVD rental, clothing consignment store, AND hotel all at the same time. We literally waited in line for 25 minutes, and then started to sweat as she was digging through piles of papers randomly placed to find our reservation. I think she finally found it under a book. My mom's comment as we opened the door to our room, "well, at least it looks clean". It was a place to sleep and had a shower, which was all we really needed. We hit the restaurant in town for dinner and my mom was thoroughly entertained when the waiter was enjoying talking with me a little too much to the point of flirting with me. He was still in high school and probably had no clue that I was married with 3 children. The dinner was pretty tasty and we stuffed ourselves silly. The room came with free DVD rentals, so we watched a movie that night and I stayed up late reading. The next morning, we hit the town's diner for breakfast and I enjoyed one of the BEST doughnuts I've ever had before! Oh, it was so good. I could go for about 5 right now. They were huge, warm, somewhat crispy on the outside with the deep frying, and soft and chewy on the inside. Yum!
We made our way over to the Manti temple for the wedding. I dropped off my mom and tried to find a parking spot. I was directed up over the hill behind the temple, and had to hike down about a 1/2 mile in my heels and in the heat, and then make my way through the grassy hill without sinking every footstep. Fun! The temple was bursting with people that day! For being in such a small, remote location, we couldn't figure out where all the people had come from. It was crazy! The sealing was beautiful, and I was glad that we were able to be a part of it. We waited, what seemed Forever for the bride and groom to come out of the temple to take pictures. I had someone take a picture of my mom and I, but never checked to see if it had come out ok, to find out that the person taking it must not have pressed all the way down on the button because there was no picture of us when I went back later to look at it. Bummer.
Here's a few pictures of the bride's family (my dad's sister Sylvia is the bride's mom). I wish I would have gotten a better picture of Susie's dress, it was Gorgeous!! After pictures, we drove to Provo for a luncheon that was held in the SkyRoom restaurant, which is at the top of the Wilkinson center at BYU. The bride and groom were quite late in their arrival, but the food was good and I enjoyed visiting with some of my cousins that I haven't seen in a really long time.

My mom and I were pretty wiped out by then. We drove up to Lehi where we had a hotel for the night. It felt so good to change out of our dresses and we just rested for a while before having to get dressed back up again to go out to the reception that night. The reception was held at Sylvia & John's house, and the backyard looked amazing. They had some delicious crepes and tropical drinks served. We didn't stay too long, it was pretty crowded and we had already spent the entire day with them.

We arrived at the Boise airport the next day, and Marc and the kids surprised us by waiting for us in the airport (my mom had left her car in short term parking) I've never had such a happy welcome at the airport before! It was delightful, Tyler & Bryce pretty much knocked me over they were so excited to see me :D

Many thanks to my mom for the fantastic little getaway, and even more thanks to my sweet husband who had the kids all by himself all weekend. It was so nice to have time away from the kids where I wasn't at girls camp or at youth conference. The only drawback is that I want another one soon!

No comments: