My dear, sweet, Grandmother passed away July 13th. Her funeral was this last Monday, July 26th. I've been trying to write this post for awhile now. I think now that her funeral is over and I've had a little more closure with her death, I can try to really remember the happiest memories of my life with her.
My Grandmothers have been the second most constant and most influential women in my life other than my mother. Grandma Galloway has just always been a part of my life since the very beginning.

We spent every holiday together for the most part, and got together with them frequently for family- get-togethers with my aunts, uncles and cousins. Grandma & Grandpa were always at our house on Christmas morning to watch us open presents. Grandma had a brother, LeGrand, who was handicapped and he would come with them over to our house until he was too ill to travel. Then we would go visit him in the nursing home. But I have picture after picture of Grandma & Grandpa at our house on Christmas morning and presents:
One of the earlier memories I have is that one day I refused to go over to the babysitter's house so my mom could go to work. She was so frustrated with me, but the next thing I knew we were driving to Grandma & Grandpa's who welcomed me over and it was one of the best days ever. I never went back to the babysitter. One day I loaded up my wagon and was on my way to Grandma's house, I was nearly out of the neighborhood going out onto 5 mile when someone found me and made me go home, but their house was always a second home to me.
We lived one street over from them while I was growing up until they went on their mission to New Zealand.
My grandparents always had the most amazing flower gardens and backyards.
In the backyard of their house on Bowmont, they had a huge tree with a rope swing. My cousins and I would entertain ourselves for hours out there. They also had a big patio with a porch swing and the best part about Grandma & Grandpa's in the summer was the homemade ice cream. I can remember the sound of it spinning, and always seeming like it would take forever to be done, but it was always worth the wait.
Grandma did a lot of canning, and my favorite thing that she would get out was her canned raspberries, especially if they were chilled in the fridge a little bit. Oh, that and her homemade grape juice were the best!!
When we got older, my cousins and I were invited to Grandmas to help her dip chocolates for Christmas.
Grandma taught me how to knit, and crochet a little bit. I wish I had continued to learn and retained how to do it. It was one of her favorite hobbies.
Grandma loved to volunteer. She ushered at the Morrison Center, and I remember she took me to my very first performance in a theatre which was the Sound of Music. She was also a Candy Striper at the hospital and I remember going down a couple of times with her to help with menus and any other things the hospital needed help with.
She and Grandpa were always at our house for Mother's Day Dinners, Christmas Eve Dinner, and everything inbetween. She loved coming to the 4th of July festivities and just quietly sat back watching everyone else's excitement.
They loved to come to my athletic events, and even sat through the volleyball games where I sat the bench, in hope that they would watch me play for even a moment.
I got to interview her a couple of times for homework assignments about World War II, and the Great Depression. She had a fabulous memory and amazing stories, and I was always in awe about how strong of a woman she was.
She and my mom were at the temple with me the very first time I went through, and it was an honor to have them at my wedding.
I remember the first time she got to meet my twins when she was living in Utah. She was so tickled by them and just loved watching them and holding them.
She was one of the very first people to meet our little Alexis. It was right after she learned that her cancer had spread to lungs and was given 3 months to live, but she was so upbeat about it and you could tell she was just trying to enjoy every moment that she had left.We got to spend a lot of time with her while we lived in Utah. I'm grateful for those months that I was able to share with her and my children were able to get to know her better.
I watched her suffer the last 18 months. We would ask her repeatedly if she was "up to" coming over or going out, and she just smiled and told us I'm going to feel bad regardless and I'd rather be in good company and feeling bad instead of being lonely at home and feeling bad. She never complained about the way her life was ending. She quietly accepted it with grace, with dignity, and with faith that she would have better things waiting for her on the other side. The last few hours she was in a comatose state, and all of the sudden her eyes opened wide and alert, she gave the biggest smile and then passed away. I can only guess what or who she saw, but what a beautiful, peaceful way to remember her. I loved my Grandma Galloway very much. I'm so grateful for the time I've been able to share with her and learning from her. I will miss her greatly. Rest in peace Grandma, Until we meet again.
Thursday, July 29, 2010
Grandma Galloway
Posted by
Julie G.
at
Thursday, July 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love those pics you have of her!!! She will be missed, hugs!!!
That was beautiful Julie. Thank you for sharing. Hopefully we can all grow to be like her.
Post a Comment