We"d love to hear from you...Send us an email!

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Labor & Delivery



This was me on Monday, March 2nd officially 40 weeks along, and giving the fakest smile in my life :) I was not thrilled to still be pregnant, but knew I would kick myself for not getting one last "belly shot". I never took a final belly shot with the twins so I don't remember how big I actually got.

So I left off with Wednesday morning. I had been up all night long with painful, irregular contractions. Marc left to go to school/work and thankfully my mom was here to help with the kids because I was a mess. We waited as patiently as we could to hear from the hospital. We went for a walk around the neighborhood, watched the kids ride their bikes, played with the kids, etc, all the while I would have a contraction here and there. I heard from the hospital around 1:30'ish telling me that the hospital was too busy for "selective inductions" and that the Dr. would like to move me to Thursday. I lost it. I was SO disappointed, so frustrated, so pissed off about living in Provo, etc. I think I basically "willed" myself into labor. I was going to have a baby that day, induction or no induction. Pain intensity picked up immensely over the next few hours. I finally called Marc a little before 4 and asked him to come home because I couldn't bear the pain anymore and I would like a priesthood blessing. I didn't want to go to the hospital because contractions weren't regular enough, or close enough together, but Marc encouraged me to go. After calling the Dr. they said, "GO!" they can make you comfortable at least.

My mom and I packed up and drove to the hospital, we were admitted at 5:00. I was dilated to a 3 and in so much pain that they let me stay and encouraged me that we would be having a baby that night. Marc was at home with the kids, we were hoping that he could put them to sleep and have one of our friends come over after they were asleep. We would call him as I got farther along in labor to come to the hospital. I was surprised that they gave me an epidural so quickly, but very relieved at the same time. Everything went well with getting the epidural in (I was so nervous because of the last delivery which took 4 times to get it in, then I still had a "hot spot"). The anesthesiologist had to come back a little later to give me a second dose because my right side wasn't numb, but after that I was very comfortable and pain free. I called Marc at 9:00 to tell him I was only at a 5, so it would probably be at least another hour or so before he needed to come over. They gave me some pitocin to help with the regularity of the contractions and by 9:20 I was shocked to be fully dilated! I called Marc and told him to rush over here, he literally walked in the door, took off his jacket and was followed in by the Dr. who put on his gown and gloves, they put me in the stirrups and told me to push! I pushed about 5 times and little Alexis was born at 9:45 pm, screaming, pink and healthy. It was so exciting and sureal all at the same time!


Marc thought this was pretty impressive showing the timeline of when I started pushing and when the baby was delivered:


Here we are as two very proud, excited parents:



Can I even begin to tell you how much different this delivery was instead of the twins?? It was so much more enjoyable, so peaceful, and so much EASIER! I was alert, happy, and feeling great after she was born. Recovery was a breeze (comparatively) and I was shocked and how well I felt so quickly after delivery a baby. I've continually asked myself "how did I ever breastfeed two babies at once??!!" She's a ferocious little eater, nursing is going well, but I don't think I'd be able to feed two Alexis's :)

4 comments:

*katie said...

Congrats, congrats, congrats!!! I'm excited for you guys and your new little GIRL!! :)

Whitney Blake said...

Well it sounds like Alexis was ready to come good thing her mom showed the motivation to get things started. I am so glad everything ran so smoothly. She looks so beautiful I can't wait to meet her.

pitterbecky said...

We are so happy for you! I am glad that everything went smoothly once they got going! Hope everything continues to go well.

Corinne Baird said...

Julie - you look awesome!!!! So glad you went in to labor by yourself and in good time and that all went well. Love the pics of the boys. I can just imagine them looking at the nurse torturing their new treasure. Congratulations!!!!