I celebrated New Year's Eve by getting Plastic Surgery. Not the normal Plastic Surgery you would think of.....(can't say I've never thought of having some done!). I've had a lump on the side of my forehead that has steadily gotten larger. I felt like I had more headaches there, and we were pretty sure it was a cyst (my brother has had a few in other spots too). It was suggested to me to try and get in before the end of the year and get it removed while my insurance would still cover it 100%.
It just so happens that my parents' home teacher is a plastic surgeon, and he was able to do a consult with me on December 27th. After discussing it, both of us felt like if we didn't remove it, it would only get bigger. He couldn't tell it was a cyst, or bone growth. If it was bone growth, he'd need special tools to grind it down, so we scheduled an appointment at the surgery center to play it safe.
I had to be at the surgery center in Boise by 7:00 am. So we had to get all the kids up and going before 6:30. Marc dropped me off at the surgery center. I fed Isabel one last time before going back, and then he took all the kids over to Scott & Codi's. The most stressful part of the whole ordeal was that I wouldn't be able to breastfeed Isabel for 12 hours after the surgery. Baby girl has refused to take bottles and I had no clue how she was going to handle not nursing. I was quite anxious about it, and broke down in tears during all the pre-op stuff. The timing of the surgery was not ideal, but I wanted to get it done while insurance was covering it completely. We don't anticipate meeting our out of pocket deductible again, unless there's some type of emergency (knock on wood).
Before long, I was knocked out and don't remember anything about the surgery. It's never fun to wake up after a procedure. They told me I had a deep cavern like hole in my skull, and that's what the cyst was sitting in. The doctor compared it to an egg in a cup. It was sitting so far down in there and he couldn't move it at all so that's why he thought it could have been bone growth. He had to do a little bit bigger incision that anticipated in order to get it all out, but he made sure it was all gone.
I was being wheeled out of the surgery center as soon as I could sit up and take a drink. They didn't give me any pain medicine while I was there. So by the time we stopped and grabbed a subway breakfast sandwich for me, picked up the kids, and drove back to Caldwell, I was hurting pretty bad. I helped Marc warm up some breastmilk, took some medicine and crawled into bed.
The baby took the first bottle well and took a good nap. My friend Gina was incredibly sweet and took the bigger kids for the afternoon. When Isabel woke up, we tried another bottle. She didn't want anything to do with it. We tried for about 45 minutes and decided to give it a rest. She went back to sleep, thank goodness! I had to "pump and dump". There's something about dumping 2 big bottles of milk down the drain that just makes me cringe to my stomach. We tried the bottle again when she woke up, but again, she refused and just got mad. Since I was about 10 hours past the surgery, I decided to just nurse her. We went to bed early and got irritated with the neighbors and their fireworks and screaming....gosh we must be getting old!
Sunday, February 2, 2014
New Year's Eve
Posted by
Julie
at
Sunday, February 02, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm glad everything went well! How are you feeling now? Have the headaches subsided at all? I don't like pumping and dumping either. After my dairy meal on Saturday I had to pump and dump about 10-12 bottles worth of milk before I could nurse again. It's so sad. :(
Post a Comment