We"d love to hear from you...Send us an email!

Friday, May 18, 2012

now and then

The summer after we got married I was a medical mess. I developed a UTI, was put on sulfa (anti-biotic) after being on it for about a week I started having flu like symptoms and then woke up with a rash all over my body (found out later it was symptoms of allergic reaction). I had to go to urgent care because the student health clinic was closed. They thought I had strep throat so put me on amoxicillin. Right after I started taking it, I developed a different rash, went back to the health clinic, and after some blood work, it turns out I had mono. My tonsils were the size of golf balls, so they put me on prednisone (steroid). I was put on too high of a dosage and I was swollen like a balloon and so itchy and uncomfortable I tried sleeping with socks over my hands to make me stop itching. I was taken off the prednisone (slowly, because you can't stop it cold turkey) and developed a horrible case of hives all over my body, that got so bad I had to go to the emergency clinic and they shot me up with a bunch of stuff to slow down the reaction. Though never proven, I was believe I was having a delayed reaction to the penicillin. Shortly after, I sliced off the top of my finger and my amazing friend even went back to the apartment to find the skin that I sliced and brought it back so the doctor could make a skin graft out of it. We promptly moved out of the dirt hole of an apartment, stopped taking all medication, and things were fine after that.


Last week, I was having some funky medical issues that have made us feel like we're living that first medical nightmare summer all over again. I woke up one morning about 2weeks ago with a bright red, swollen, pinky finger. No other symptoms, but it started to develop a rash, just on my pinky. Several days later, I watched the rash from my pinky spread up my arms, down the trunk of my body and down my legs. The next day, I started swelling really bad in my hands, legs and feet. I was ready to go to the doctor, but decided I was over-reacting a bit and they'd just want to put me on prednisone to help with the swelling which I was not about to try again. The next day (Wednesday) I was experiencing a lot of pain in my wrists and hands. It was excruciating just to try and take off my shirt. Thursday, my wrists felt a little better, but I could hardly walk because my hips hurt so bad. Marc told me I looked like a penguin. When I woke up on Friday, my hands were so swollen I could barely unclench my fingers.

 (my sausage fingers and weird redness)

( You can kind of see the rash on my swollen legs)
 Not having an established doctor, I went to Urgent Care. The doctor was quite puzzled, but ran a bunch of blood work tests. I didn't hear anything until Monday late afternoon where a nurse called and said I had some "abnormal" results and they recommended following up with my Primary Physician. Unable to tell me anything besides that, I drove over to the office, picked up the labwork, and hit up the internet and reached out to a few friends for help.
My red blood cell count is low, and I'm positive for ANA which is an auto immune test. Normal ranges are 0-9 and I have a level 23. I need to follow up with a doctor to run more tests for Auto Immune Disorders, Lupus & Rheumatoid Arthritis to be particular. So, something weird IS going on, but nothing conclusive and nothing life threatening as of this moment. I do need to get into a doctor to have a baseline of established care to monitor me. I'm not looking forward to more testing (nor the costs!!!) but I'm hoping we can at least start getting some conclusive answers.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Get better! Ten years married -- we only barely have more time together. WOW. Lots happen in ten years, huh. The gopher patch is one of our favorite spots at the zoo. (Can you tell I've been playing catch up on your blog!)

Michelle said...

well, I wouldn't say amazing...if I had been amazing I would not have let us forget the finger part in the first place!! haha glad things turned out well last time and hope they do again!

rin said...

Good luck to finding some answers Julie!

Jaclyn said...

I am so sorry! I hope you find a doctor that can help you too! I will be hoping for good or at least hopeful feedback soon!