I'm a little more than half way done with the Make a Splash program. It was hard to get into a groove with the kids' school schedules. They'd have a week on and a week off for most of October it felt like. It's definitely getting easier in some ways. I've kind of found my rhythm a little bit with how to teach things and the progression of skills. I'm gaining a lot more confidence as a teacher and that's helping a lot too. I love to see my students' conquer a new skill. One of the highlights for me has been watching my beginners learn how to float by themselves. For most of them that were so scared to be on their backs in the water, or put their face in the water and now to watch them overcome their fears, is tremendously rewarding. I've really learned a lot from the other instructors. A lot of us collaborate in the hot tub after teaching all day and it's been great to get their ideas for how to teach things, or tips to help make it easier.
I had a kid slip under water and start drowning in the deep end as we were trying to learn treading water. He slipped down so quickly without a word or struggle. I was able to get to him immediately, but he was really traumatized by it. I got him out of the water and he wouldn't stop crying. I felt really bad. We tried to turn it into a teaching moment for him and all the others in the class by talking about what we can do if we ever find ourselves in situation like that. How important it is not to panic, to try and call for help. It definitely made an impact, but not the way I would have chosen for it to happen. I just hope it doesn't ruin swim lessons for him. I had one little girl tell me that I am "the best teacher EVER!" She was one that wouldn't even jump into the shallow 2 feet water and is now floating independently. Just have to keep focusing on the positives. Next week will definitely be interesting!
Thursday, November 10, 2011
Make a Splash update
Posted by
Julie G.
at
Thursday, November 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sounds like you are enjoying Splash a lot! Glad you were able to turn that into a teachable moment!
Anytime you want to work with my kids! You handled the trauma so well. I would have needed someone to talk me down after such an incident. Well done.
Post a Comment