We"d love to hear from you...Send us an email!

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Grandma Casper

My dear, sweet, Grandmother passed away on July 9th. My mom said that being there when she died, and going through the whole process with her until that moment was one of the hardest things she's ever done. I got the news a little after 10 at night and I couldn't stop crying. I think the reality that she's really gone just hit me like a bulldozer.

My grandma was really my second mom. She's always been a source of love and comfort for me.
My earliest memories of Grandma are joyous anticipation of getting to see her (and my Grandpa). They lived in Utah for most of my childhood, and we got to see them at least twice a year as they would travel to Boise to see us:
Or we would travel to Utah to see them. They lived in this beautiful home in Kaysville that my Grandpa helped build. I remember riding down the steep driveway on the little ride-on toys, picking plums from the trees that grew in the front, and running around with my cousins.
I love how cute she looks here. Just happy and content.
I'll jump a few years.....but when I was in middle school my Grandparents moved to Nampa because my Grandpa's kidneys were failing and he needed to be close to a dialysis center. We spent every holiday with them and many Sunday nights in between. I love this picture because it shows how interested and excited they were to see things I'd created, or hear how things were going in my life. They ooed and awed over pictures, rejoiced in athletic achievements with me, listened attentively to fun details of dates that I'd been on, etc. They made you feel special in your own unique way.
Grandma and Grandpa LOVED Marc from the moment they met him. They welcomed him into our family readily and easily and told me over and over what a great man he was (and is).
My wedding was the last one that my Grandma & Grandpa Casper were able to go to, and I don't take it fore granted at all. What a special event to have all 4 of my grandparents with us. They were beaming with love & pride. I look at this picture sadly because none of my Grandparents are alive anymore.
Grandma wrote me the most tender and loving note when I lost one of our babies. Her words of encouragement and support lifted my spirits and helped sustain me during some of my darkest moments. She was so thrilled when our twins arrived. We were so excited when we finally got to introduce Bryce & Tyler to their Great Grandparents.

She loved holding babies.
I love how engaged Lexi and Grandma are with each other in this picture. It's like they were having their own secret conversation.I'm so grateful for the time I was able to spend with my Grandma after moving back West. My kids have grown to have a wonderful relationship with her and they remember her for her kindness and giving heart. The last time they had a good visit with her was on their Birthday/Mother's Day and she had cards for them with $5 for each of them. She never missed anyone's birthday. I always got a card from Grandma on my birthday as did my husband and children.
Marc was privileged to give my Grandma a couple of Priesthood blessings in her last final weeks. We know that my Grandpa was with her, and that Heavenly Father was proud of her and the work she had done here on earth. I got to have my own personal "goodbye" with her while she was still lucid and we could talk about happy things like how the kids enjoyed the circus. I couldn't bare to see her again after she slipped into her coma. I wanted to remember her smiling and awake, knowing who I was.

Her funeral was beautiful and really celebrated her life, though there were many tears of sadness because we will all miss her and my Grandfather so much. She was an amazing woman. One of my greatest role models. She's dear to my heart and I miss her so much already. Until we meet again Grandma, I love you!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Your grandma would love this post. I'm sorry for her absence. Sounds like she made the most of her time here. Beautiful entry.