We"d love to hear from you...Send us an email!

Sunday, May 17, 2009

What would you do?

Many of you know that my father is a dentist. He was recently forced to retire early due to health problems and I've been  struggling to find a new dentist ever since. A few weeks ago, I finally made an appointment with someone and went in to have my teeth cleaned. Now, I've had my teeth cleaned A LOT over the past 27 years of my life. I've been the guniea pig for many of the hygienists my dad has hired, some cleanings were good, and some not so good....but this last time that I went in to have my teeth cleaned was the WORST of my life!  The hygienist didn't introduce herself to me, she didn't talk to me, she was very cold and impersonal and it was the most painful "cleaning" I've ever endured, if you can call it a cleaning. She used the sonic scaler to clean the area of my permanent retainer on my bottom teeth, polished them and jammed the floss inbetween my teeth (as hard as she could it felt like). The one thing she did tell me "you should work on your flossing because your gums were really bleeding after I flossed them". Whose gums wouldn't be bleeding after that lady! My biggest complaint was that it just wasn't a thorough cleaning. She didn't touch any of my other teeth (besides the retainer) except to polish.....and that's not doing anything to my gums or in between the contacts which is why you pay someone to expertly clean where you can't. 


The dental office sent me an e-mail survey about my experience and I was very honest about the horrible job that they did. I expressed my frustration about having to go see someone else to get a decent cleaning & told them that if this was the first impression they wanted their New Patients to have that they couldn't expect anyone to come back.  On Friday, I got a call from their practice manager and she invited me to come back in and see one of their other hygienists for another cleaning free of charge. I told her I would have to think about it and I'd get back to her. 

OK, so if this was you, what would you do?? Would you give the office a second chance? Saves time and hassle of requesting x-rays so I don't have to pay for them again when I go to another dentist. Or would you bag it and walk away to one of the 100 other dentists that are out there?  I'm interested to hear your thoughts!

2 comments:

Corinne Baird said...

Give 'em another chance. You won't lose anything and maybe that lady just had someone die in her family. JK, but I know I always like a second chance. Good for you for being honest on the survey.

Cranberryfries said...

That is a tough one especially after a bad experience. I think I might go for it with the exception that you could say stop at any time and just walk out. You're not paying for it and if the 2nd lady is horrible you could just not even finish. Then if it is good make sure to get the name of the horrible and good girl so you can request the one never come near you and the good one always. :)

Good luck