We"d love to hear from you...Send us an email!

Monday, August 18, 2014

Real Time Update

I feel like I'm mostly caught up on this blog. With the exception of daily activities in the summer and what Isabel is up to. So, I need to do a real time post.

 I got a phone call this morning that just changed everything for the school year. Lexi was offered a spot at Thomas Jefferson Charter School for Kindergarten. It was one of those moments where my heart stopped in my chest. I literally froze. I had written off any hopes of getting in the charter schools since we were so far down on the waiting list. It was shocking.The first day of school for the charter school was today. We weren't planning on starting at West Canyon until next Monday! Talk about speeding up time! The person who called me was really nice. I had no pressure to make an immediate decision. The boys are still numbers 16 & 25 on the waiting list to get into third grade at Thomas Jefferson. So they won't be going to school with Lexi this year. That was honestly the hardest part about making the decision. They were really looking forward to being together! 

If Lexi goes to the charter school this year, the boys will be eligible to be on the sibling lottery which is a level 2 in priority for any open spots next year instead of level 5. The class sizes move from 28 to 32 in 4th grade so there will automatically be 4 spots open. Depending on how many siblings are trying to get into 4 grade will effect the boys chances. But it is a heck of a lot higher than any other chance we would get. We are sad that Lexi won't have Mrs. Belles as her teacher. She was Bryce's teacher and we really enjoyed her and have a great relationship with her. Lexi was so excited to be in her class. At the charter school, Lexi gets to go to school EVERY day. Instead of the Mon, Tues every other Wednesday schedule. She will ride the bus to school in the morning, and then I pick her up at 11:45.

The thing that has been most reassuring to me, is that if we hate it at the charter school or feel like it isn't working out the way we wanted it to, we can withdraw and go back to West Canyon (and Mrs. Belles) at any point. I am excited. I am anxious. I am nervous. From what I have heard about this school, high quality education is their purpose. I feel like Lexi will be challenged a little bit more instead of reviewing everything she already knows. We feel like she's been given an opportunity we can't refuse! We're leaving here in a second to go visit the school and see if we can meet the teacher. I guess my little one is starting school tomorrow! Yeesh!

No comments: