I'm a little upset right now, I think its the protective mother coming out, but its hard to see your child feel left out and feel the sting of jealousy like he's feeling right now.
Last Friday, a little boy came to our door and handed Tyler an invitation to his birthday party. I said, "did you mean Tyler & Bryce, or just Tyler?" the mom overhearing me from the car said "just Tyler". She explained that they were just inviting the kids from his class, and asked if that was ok? if it wasn't, than call her. I tried to shrug it off. That was their decision, and I really didn't want to impose on that decision. We felt a little miffed that they had only invited Tyler, since the boy has come over to our house and played with both boys, and both boys had gone over to his house to play. But we tried our hardest not to make a big deal out of it and tried to find a fun alternative for Bryce while Tyler went to the party.
I lined up a playdate for Bryce, and we had it all set that the little boy would come over while Tyler was at the party. Bryce was really excited about it, and seemed really nonchalant about not going with Tyler. However, his playdate was pretty much a dud, and then Tyler came home with party favors and talking about the cake and ice cream, the presents, and the games they played and the jealousy set in. Bryce starting acting out a little bit. I finally just gave him a big hug, asked him if he was feeling a little left out, and after a little sniffle and almost break down into tears, he just hugged me back and took a deep breath and asked if he could watch a movie.
It's hard to grow up. I really wasn't prepared to be faced with these situations until the boys started school....but I also feel like we opened ourselves up to it when we decided to put the boys in two different sunbeam classes at church to allow the boys to make their own friends. I'm sure we'll face many more experiences where one or the other feels "left out" or excluded....I just hope it doesn't happen again for a few more years.
Those of you out there who have kids that are friends with twins, just invite both twins to the party. Give their mom a break!
Monday, August 16, 2010
Growing up is hard to do
Posted by
Julie G.
at
Monday, August 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I agree. Twins are a package deal especially at this age!!!
Oh, that just breaks my heart! I think about things like that happening with my twins and I tear up. I am not prepared for heartbreak like that either!
Post a Comment